Tuesday, December 14, 2010

5/7

Unconditional surrender of all German Armies was announced this morning. Schact, Szalen and Mussert have been captured. Pastor Niemoeller, Blum, Schuschnigg have been freed. Sixteen Polish representatives of the gov't-in-exile have been arrested for espionage by Russia. Surrender was at Rheims at 2:41AM by Jodt of Germany. Gene took haircut.

I couldn't find the names "Schact" and "Szalen", so I don't know if those are spelled correctly. "Mussert" was the hardest to read, but found that; I've been using the NY Times Archives to verify all the WW II names. The last line took me aback; I don't remember him ever calling me "Gene", except as a half-joke when I was an adult. Might be because he had to squeeze in those last three words at the bottom of the page (see scanned-in page).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is interesting! I wonder if his brain was temporarily addled by the war news?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! But it REALLY was squeezed in at the bottom; I think I'll scan that one in!

    ReplyDelete