Sunday, December 12, 2010

4/1 Sunday [1945]

We were supposed to go to Mollie's sister Jane Nelson in Rockaway for dinner but sister Lillian went to the hospital today so we stayed home. Lilly had her baby at 2:07 P.M. She weighed 8 lbs. 11 ozs. Lilly had gone to the hospital about 9 A.M. It was the Mt. Eden Hosp. Previously we had gone up to Mrs. Thaw's house. Eugene and Sylvia recited, Sylvia in her usual drawn out manner. Eugene staged his Jekyll and Hyde act during the day. Lillian went to the movies in the evening. She saw "The Suspect" with Charles Laughton. A decent man murders twice due to circumstances beyond his control. Eugene turned on a little boy today who had been following him and smote him with both hands. Eugene's unusual conduct was explained when -

As noted, I don't have relatives of Mollie in my family tree, although I'm adding Jane Nelson.  The last sentence must have been added when he wrote the next entry in the diary. I decided that I'd identify the year on the first day of each month, as my father no longer includes it in his date line.  

3 comments:

  1. You smote him? I guess schools didn't have anti-smiting policies back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't write 'em (although I am transcribing them), but I did smite 'em (apparently!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Nelson...name rang a bell. My five year old self thought that's a "regular" sounding name (not jewish like the rest of us).

    ReplyDelete