Sunday, December 12, 2010

3/23

The Germans are disintegrating in the West. Tens of thousands are giving up to our men. Sylvia used to say Îdoo for Eugene and Agoo for water. Her big fault now is the th sound. She says 'd' or 'l' for this sound. Eugene's practically only trouble was and still is to some extent the th sound also. He said 'f' as - 'free' for 'three'. Lillian took the kids to Alexanders in the morning and bought Sylvia a pair of shoes - $4.75 with wedges. She also bought Sylvia a wrist watch - 10¢ at Sylvia's request.

What Sylvia said for my name sounded like "eedoo". There's a story I've told over and over; I remember standing at the head of my bed, looking into the foot of Sylvia's crib, and trying to teach her to say my name correctly. I said "say 'you' ", and she said "you"; I said "say 'jean' " and she said "jean"; I said "now say 'you-jean' [Eugene], and she said "Eugene". Then I said "say it again" and she gave a mischievous smile and said, loudly, "eedoo!".

No comments:

Post a Comment