Monday, January 17, 2011

2/21

1,000 famous people appealed to Truman to take the lead in forming a World Gov't. Clare Booth Luce has become a Catholic and dropped out of politics. Lillian spoke to Mrs. Curry who said Eugene is a fine lad and a leader. He recently told her he was tired of being teacher. Moscow has charged that Canada's attitude in the 'spy scare' is an unfriendly act. It clains some Canadian citizens gave certain members of the Soviet Military attache staff unsolicited information of a secret character. Higher techinical information than this is available to all in vaiours publications The American Jewish Conference 3-day session heard Col. Bernie Bernstein, Eisenhower staff member say only Russia meant to exterminate fascism. Retired Gen. Holdridge attacked compulsory military [?] the caste system in the army.

Paper is torn, one or two words missing in that last sentence.

2 comments:

  1. I state again: what a treasure and thanks for putting it on line. Makes me wonder how politically aware my parents were. My father probably. My mother not. I don't have any recollection of any events from the war years except one, nor awareness of discussions in the house. Well,my parents never talked to one another. Another history...long story. My one war recollection is visiting the neighbor next door...she had a plastic pouch of margarine with a red button in the center which, when pressed and kneaded would release food color into the contents and make margarine look like butter. She gave me the job. How much do you remember hearing about all this world history?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my mother using that margarine; I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with the war; the dairy farmers had gotten Congress to pass a law prohibiting margarine from being dyed to look like butter (I just checked, it was actually State law).

    I don't remember much discussion of world events when I was young. I have a few more war memories (after all, I'm a little older); I remember blackouts, and a kid in Kindergarten saying "Do you think that old Hitler will come over here?", and I sort of knew who Hitler was. And the anecdote about V-J day that I put in that day's comment, and the fact that we were told that our next door neighbors were "refugees", and we sort of understood what that was.

    ReplyDelete