Tuesday, February 21, 2017

7/1-7/7/51

July 1 Sunday Eugene and I went to the Yankee Stadium in reserved seats to see the Yanks beat the Red Sox 5-2. Ed Lopat pitched a 6-hitter. Mel Parnell was knocked out. Coleman and Pesky homered. We had ice cream, peanuts, hot dogs and soda and balloons for both kids. Lillian and Sylvia went to the Kingsbridge to see Spencer Tracy- Joan Bennett and Elizabeth Taylor in "Fathers Little Dividend". It waa delightful. Also "Double Crossbones". Afterwards I took the kids to St. James where I played some tennis with Eugene on the asphalt until the attendant came around. Lillian read "Meg" - Theodora Keogh, "Eagle At My Eyes" - Katkov, "The Sisters" Ann Meredith and "Too Little Love" - R Henrique. 

I remember this (my first baseball game) well, but I thought I remembered my grandfather taking us; I think that perhaps he was just responsible for the reserved seats, and apparently was not there. We sat near the front in, I believe, the "mezzanine". Perhaps the most memorable thing about my first baseball game was that Bob Feller pitched his third no-hitter that day; of course, he did that in Cleveland, while we were in NY. When a game was complete, the out-of-town scoreboard showed three columns (Runs, Hits, Errors), and a murmur ran through the stadium when the zero in the Hits column showed up; I remember someone nearby pointing it out. Dad pasted in that score in the next day's entry below. 

July 2 China and No Korea agreed to discuss a cease-fire in Korea. Sylvia drew "Betsy and Billy" C Haywood, "Two and Two Make [Are] Four" - C Haywood, "A Chicken for Christmas" Jo Hatcher, "Carol from the Country" F Friedman. Eugene took nothing as he goes to camp Wednesday. 
Feller became the first pitcher of this century to pitch three no hitters. 

July 3 Dr Holzman's nurse called up this morning with the great news that Lil's laboratory report was negative. As Eugene is going away we we [sic] went to Mother's for lunch stopping off at Molly's first. A. P. Correspondent William Oatis confessed to a Czech court that he spied for the "West". The Allies agreed to 'Red' proposals that cease-fire talks open on July 10 at Kaesong. Fighting continued on a reduced scale. 7 of the '11' convicted C.P. leaders surrendered to begin their jail terms. Winston, Hall, Thompson and Green failed to appear. 

July 4 Lillian took Eugene to 167 st to catch an 8:15 AM bus with the rest of the Bronx Boy Scouts. Eugene's knapsack was quite heavy so they taxied over. Later we met Sam & Molly Shirley & Seth at Woodlawn where I beat Berman. Rain interrupted us at 2 o'clock so we all went to our house and finished the picnic. We saw the Dodgers take a double header from the Giants. Seth amused himself by playing the piano. Four ex firemen were convicted for extortion. $80,000 bail was forfeited on the four missing C.P. leaders. Hugh Casey committed suicide at 38. I am sorry Eugene went away because I will miss him. When we were at woodlawn a dog chased me because I had a lollipop. I also entered a Western contest and hope I win. I drew a cowgirl. 
 
This last was written by Silvia, of course, and scanned in below. 




July 5 Betty Ann, Norma, Arline came up to play with Sylvia. They played with the dolls' house which has been gathering dust for years. A.P. correspondent Oatis got 10 years for spying. Lillian read "The Promising Young Men" - G. Sklar. 

July 6 We were very much shocked to receive a card from Eugene saying we should come and take him home soon as he didn't like it at all. The Communists pledged the truce envoy's safety for Sunday's preliminary meeting. F.V. Field, Bail Fund Sec'y of the C.R.C. was given 90 days jail in a contempt action for refusing to name contributors. Beat F. Katz. 

July 7 Lost to Mencher. The fifth day of the bread strike saw violence grow and the supply of bread diminish. Dick Savitt amazed again by adding the Wimbledon title to his Australian win. He beat Ken McGregor in the final 6-4, 6-4, 6-4. D. Hart beat S. Fry 6-0, 6-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment