Sunday, January 20, 2013

9/28-10/4/47

9/28 Sunday Beat Gross. After lunch we went down to Grand Central Station to see Mollie off to Hot Springs. Sam & Becky B. there, also Shirley, Milton & Sam. Took some pictures. Later Milton & Shirley and we stopped at the W. 42 st. ping-pong and chess parlor. We played some ping-pong and Eugene picked up a chess game with someone who recommended lessons for him as a promising player. Eugene also played two games in the park and two games with me at night.

Don't know "Sam & Becky B." 

9/29 Eugene drew "Sir Archibald" by Wolo, "Miss Hickory" by C. S. Bailey "Twenty Little Pets" by Ditmars and Sylvia chose "The Cock The Mouse and the Little Red Hen", retold by F. Lefevre. 16 were sentenced to death in Albania for plotting in complicity with the U.S. & England against the gov't. The C.I.O. will test the constitutionality of various state anti-labor laws. The Georgia C.I.O. with several Negro delegates participating heard Gov. Thompson attacked along with Herman Talmadge.

9/30 The kids played in the playground. Sylvia went on everything but Eugene doesn't go on the children's swings or see-saw. He is listening to the World Series now, his first baseball interest. Tito has invited six prominent Americans to visit Yugoslavia. There is a report that we will equip two Chinese divisions to fight the Communists.

10/1 Eugene and I have a nickel bet on each series game. He has the Yanks against the Dodgers. He is on the Honor Roll in school with no marks against him. Sylvia went on small and large swings in the playground today. Wallace attacked our sponsorship of Argentina for the Security Council. Curran at the N.M.U. Convention called for an all-out red hunt. Cuban authorities headed off a revolutionary force sailing against Dominican dictator Trujillo and arrested 800. Read "Look Homeward, Angel" that beautifully written book groping for the answers to the why, how and where of our existence. Safeway stores on strike.

I remember the bet well. Dad suggested it (to get me interested in baseball, as I later found out) and I remember him saying that he would give me "the better team" - the Yankees. I remember that we traded one nickel back and forth, so that, in later years, I realized that it was the 1947 Words Series.

10/2 Beat Levy. Sylvia just interpreted some of her drawings for us. We are fighting Ukraine's position on the Security Council as a representative of the Slav states preferring Czechoslovakia who we might be able to split. Lever Bros. president Chas. Luckman, head of Truman's Citizens Food Comm. has asked the country to waste less food. Lillian read "So Little Time" by J. P. Marquand. Childs on strike.

10/3 Got the new steam iron at mom's which Harry got for us. Its a steamomatic selling for $19 now which we got for $11.88. Sylvia and Susan played ring a-round a rosie, Susan falling down so energetically she banged her head. The British have intercepted two more refugee ships off Palestine. Milk is now 21¢.

10/4 Downtown where I got a suit with two pair of pants size 36, brown cheviot $24.95 at B[?]utton clothes 95 - 5 ave. We have freed a half million Nazis. Spaak defended the Greek gov't at the UN. The I.L.A. first to comply with the slave law has been served with an injunction under it in a sympathy strike.

2 comments:

  1. Mollie going to Hot Springs is an early memory of mine, although I don't remember the sendoff. I think Mollie told me the capital of Arkansas was Little Rock and I noticed Hot Springs and Little Rock were sort of similar names ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember her going there. But I don't know how rocks and waters are similar!

    ReplyDelete