Monday, September 20, 2021

8/8-8/14/54

Aug 8 Sunday Pop took us, Molly & Sam and Madeline & Jerry to Woodlawn where I split with Levitan. I won a chess game from pop. Molly had a back-ache but sat and chatted with Lil & Madeline. Jerry worked on my baseball puzzles after the ball games. In the "Mile of the Centruy" Roger Bannister defeated John Landy with a 3:58.8. 

Aug 9 I took my first driving lesson. ...

Aug 10 ... Eugene has won 50¢ on an astronomy bet and is taking merit badges in astronomy, camping and cooking, Vito Marcantonio is dead at 51. Terry, Dickey, Bobby Wallace, Tom Connolly, Ed Barrow, Chief Bender, Rabbit Maranville, Billy Klem and Harry Wright were inducted into the Hall of Fame. 

This list seems to include 1953 inductees (but not all of them) into the Baseball Hall of Fame. 

The following box score was glued in on this date; Dad wrote "New record of 13 runs in an eighth inning".

 

Aug 11 ... Dr Bryn J Hovde is dead at 58. 

Aug 12 ... But Eugene would like to go home earlier. Only one of the boys in his bunk is nice. Agnes Rothery is dead at 67. 

Aug 13 The mail was good today from both kids. Lil and Molly went to visit Shirley today. The Senate voted 85-0 to outlaw the C.P. 

Aug 14 I took my last lesson today at the Lexington Auto School.

No comments:

Post a Comment